Every road that's travelled teaches something new. Every road that narrows pushes us to choose.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

CAUTION: MY EYES HAVE OPENED!!!!

I am a Liar. I've concluded that, for all my ranting and raving, I am a liar. Okay, maybe liar is too strong a word. How about ...HYPOCRITE? How does hypocrite feel? Better. Okay...

I am a hypocrite! For all my ranting and raving, I have concluded I am a hypocrite. I never follow my own advice. I complain about the conditions of the world, our society, our country, our schools, our kids, YOUR kids, the air, the traffic, customer service, prices, my boss, my job, my employer, the temperature of my coffee...everything. I may not have any solutions but I sure know where the problems are and I am not shy about letting you know what they are, why they are and, in my opinion, who's fault they are. More than that...you would be hard-pressed to convince me that any of the problems are my fault! When I started this I promised I would be honest if nothing else. I would be honest and transparent or exactly "I can promise you honesty and absolute openness". That's what I said in my first post. Go ahead read it.

I've done some self-examination and I haven't been so open...so honest.


Let me begin with this: I'm not such a bad guy. I have issues. I'm always late. I'm often self-absorbed, I lack any sense of attention span. I find it hard to sit through almost any movie at home. I don't like change and that's okay with me. I'm so stuck in a rut that I could eat the same dinner everyday. So I have issues..... don't we all.

That's not to say I don't have my good points. I do. I work hard. I'm not afraid to sacrifice things I want for my family. I faithful...sort of(more to come on this.) I clear my plate. I love and care for animals. I work in my own way to save the environment. I love God. I try to live my life how God wants me to live. I'm relatively smart and and am able to reason things out when given the facts. Not a long list but not so bad.

Here's the thing.

Under self examination I don't look like such a bad guy....on the surface. But I have specific information about the man you can't see. I know what he thinks and feels. And while his heart is in the right place, often the expression is less than perfect. I can he cold and hard-hearted. Distant and uncaring. I often get so wrapped up in myself that I forget others exist. And it gets worse.

I do a lot of volunteering. I believe that giving back to society is important. But, secretly, I find I put myself in volunteer positions that get me noticed and I have to ask myself...is it really because I feel its important to give back? Or ... do I just want people to think it is important to me to give back. I've begun to wrestle with that.

Honestly I want to leave this world better than I left it. I have been the benefactor of many people who, out of kindness and perhaps there own desire to make this a better world when they leave it, seemed to be where I needed them to be exactly when I needed them to be there. It is their willingness to be there that troubles me about my own "humanitarian" effort.

I have begun to recognize that my volunteerism takes the same shape of the christian who prays loudly and often in the company of others so as to witness to their own Godliness. I need to get on my knees and beg forgiveness and then find a way to put God first in everything I do. I need to get off the float in the big parade and learn to let God have center seat. It's about time I matured as a christian and practice what I so often preach about others.

These are, after all, the musings of a mind that wanders.



6 comments:

Mike said...

I'm curious John. This post and then you removed your name over at the Cybercongregation. What's up? Is there anything I can help with?

John Chappell said...

Between you and me, I was really looking into coming back to what I knew as a teenager. It was such a great time and God was so relevant. I left the church because, for me , it had become so concerned with how one looked or dressed or worshipped that it was blinded to the need of an individual. God was, at that time, sending us people who did not fit into the neat little restoration package.

My experience is that the current church is so liberal, (imagine my surprise) that I found it hard to communicate with them. When I did I found that, more often, I met with contempt because I did not think as liberally as they did. When you can't have a discussion with someone to learn what there perspective is... it is time to move on. I just decided it was time.

I do need to say that I am so inpressed with your ability to share your heart on your blog. It has inspired me to be more honest with myself and with God. I hope you never give it up. Your truthful, honest , self-reflective style encourages others to do the same. I would find it an honor to be ministered to by one who I have come to know as a true christian with a heart for God and his family. I shall always keep my eye on you and your blog. I will pray daily for the spirit to contiue to pour upon you and guide you in all you do. I have never met you. I do feel I can call you brother and one day look frward to serving with you in the company of the Lord

Mike said...

John. Thanks for your positive comments. Truth be told, I always found your perspective to be inspired in the spirit of unity and brotherhood, which I found to be appealing. It's hard to be moderate in an environment where the opinions are so varied.

I would welcome you back in a heartbeat should you choose to come back. As you know, I haven't even posted there much recently. The discussions really aren't worth the bandwidth that they are using.

I pray for you John in your journey and hope that one day, our paths will actually cross. I also feel I can call you brother and I know that even if we don't meet in this life, we'll definitely know each other in the next.

Mike

John Chappell said...

Mike:

I hope you don't think there is any connection between my post and my leaving. There is not.
This was a wholly seperate incident that just happened to occur at the same time I posted.

Mike said...

I wasn't looking into it too far. Thanks for the clarification though.

Sean Langdon said...

Sorry, not to see you on the CyberCongregation as well. I have been gone so much this summer but noticed in the midst of all of it that you were no longer there. I meant to inquire but have been terribly busy. Sorry. Finally, am able to catch up on some blog reading/typing and wanted to check in!

You are missed on the Discussion Board.