Every road that's travelled teaches something new. Every road that narrows pushes us to choose.

Friday, May 25, 2007

I'm back! We had the good fortune to spend a week in California with my brother and his wife. It was a good time and a good break from work which was much needed and, I believe, well deserved. It is always good to get away and especially good this time. I got to spend some time with my wife, alone, just the two of us... (no Kids). It was the first time in 11 years I was able to take the time from work and be just with her. I loved it. But here was more....I had 2 prominent experiences. The first was a dinner experience I will tell you about lateron in the post. The other, deserves a post all it 's own..

San Francisco is a beautiful city with lots to see and do. It is, however, quite expensive to visit and I couldn't find anyone who could afford to live there although I'm sure they do.

We cruised the bay and learned about the early history of San Francisco, THE Bridge, Alcatraz, Angel Island, Sausalito, and Tiburon. We spent some good times around Pier 39. Saw the sea lions, the fish markets, ships and yachts. We ate some good food and had a great time being tourists. You may have guessed what my wife has known about me for a long time. I am NOT a very adventurous person. I like what I like and am most comfortable when they don't change. Better the devil I know than the devil I don't as they say. So it was with great trepidation (and much convincing on my wife's part) that I attended a dinner theatre called, "Teatro ZinZanni Love,Chaos, and Dinner".

Let me say at the outset. I love my wife and this is a perfect example as to why. She makes me do things I would not consider and rarely...yes I said rarely....is she wrong. This was the most fun and the best time I have ever had at dinner. Dinner came over time but not before each of the five courses were announced during the act that preceded the course. It was interactive and wildly entertaining. As I read the Bios on the actors I noted one was a professor form a local college. What a great way for students to experience the fun and hard work that goes into the the creative process. His students are very lucky to have him and his abilities to learn from. All the performers were skilled in their area and they all seemed to enjoy what they were doing. Even as they moved around the theatre and interacted with the audience they stayed in character For them, it seemed, the audience experience was the thing. No pretense, no over the top "I am An Actor" kind of stuff. Good fun, Good Food, Good times. They were great.

We also had a chance to visit Monterrey and Carmel. Monterrey is fun and beautiful with shops,and street performers, water, beaches, and sea lions. One word of warning,If you ever get the chance to eat at Bubba Gumps, run Forrest run!! do not walk, run, in the other direction. Poor good food, Poor service. Forrest's mother would not be proud!!!

Carmel frankly, smells expensive. I was sure they were charging for the oxygen out there. Homey and peaceful, you got a sense that there were rich people hiding all over the place. I have never seen such a police presence either. The 17 mile drive on the way to it is great. I really enjoyed it. Lots of great pictures to boot. If you have a chance...stop in at the Hogs Breath Inn and "make your day". Drop on in and and enjoy great atmosphere and good food. It was well worth the money.

Our next destination was Modesto and although I spent a small amount of time there I got to meet some great people. California isn't at all like I imagined. It actually quite quaint in its own way and very outdoors oriented. Lots of parks and green spaces that almost force you to think about life in a whole different way. It was invigorating in a laid back kind of way. I had a great time.

Oh, by the way, I also found out I am a descendant of King Charlemagne which I find intriguing and very exciting so in keeping with this new found royalty.....

C'est, enfin, le musings d'un esprit qui se promène.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Thanks for sharing part of your vacation with us. I am looking forward to visiting the dinner theater the next time I go there. California has an abundance of activities for everyone and their likes. I just love it there.

Oh yeah, I am also directly descendant of Charlemagne. I guess that means we're related.

:)