Every road that's travelled teaches something new. Every road that narrows pushes us to choose.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Prom Night: A night without sleep

They are unaware. They are just kids out to have fun with each other away from mom and dad. They don't consider it a life changing experience. It's just a dinner, a dance, a date. They may suspect, but they could not know what evil lurks just outside the protective custody of family or the safe haven of discipline. They may not even care. They are, after all, young.

It's nights like this that test a parents metal..draws them to their faith...forces them on their knees. I'll bet more prayers are raised this day than any other. They are our young men and young ladies. Our true talent on loan from God. Our legacy to the world. And they are out there out of our control and out from under our protective wing. Oh, God help them, better yet, help me!!

I remember prom. It was fun and exciting. I was able to leave the nest and try my wings in open air. My guiding principles were whispers on the wind, remembrances of what I heard was proper etiquette, and all that I had witnessed in everyday life since a time I can't remember.

I didn't think about consequences. I didn't worry about what ifs. The notion that there might be danger lurking wasn't even considered. I was entering the "night life". Until then, it was all child's play. Now I was ready and willing to enter the night realizing I had received the most sacred of adult purveyance.....No Curfew!!

As an adult, it's my time again. This time I can't help but worry. It is not me but still my flesh and blood out there ...somewhere. They are good kids. I shouldn't worry but I can't help it. They are out there in the world mingling with the rest of the world. Driving!!!! Does the rest of the world know how special they are, how precious they are? Does the world understand that they will change it? Do they know how important they are to to us?..to me?

I should go check on them. No I shouldn't... but I want to. I want to make sure they are okay. I want to make sure they are having a good time I want them to be safe. I want them to be home. I want them to come home. That's all. Just come home. Then we can talk about all the other things. The fun, the thrill, the fear, the night out on the town. After...only after...they come home.

I'm not as young as I used to be. Lord it's a little harder to get down here on my knees. It's a whole lot harder getting up. Just bring them home. Amen.

These are, after all, the musings of a mind that wanders.

No comments: