Every road that's travelled teaches something new. Every road that narrows pushes us to choose.

Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Jesus of Liberal Conservatism


Merriam-Webster defines Liberalism as: a movement in modern Protestantism emphasizing intellectual liberty and the spiritual and ethical content of Christianity b: a theory in economics emphasizing individual freedom from restraint and usually based on free competition, the self-regulating market, and the gold standard c: a political philosophy based on belief in progress, the essential goodness of the human race, and the autonomy of the individual and standing for the protection of political and civil liberties. And conservatism as: disposition in politics to preserve what is established, a political philosophy based on tradition and social stability, stressing established institutions, and preferring gradual development to abrupt change; specifically : such a philosophy calling for lower taxes, limited government regulation of business and investing, a strong national defense, and individual financial responsibility for personal needs (as retirement income or health-care coverageThe tendency to prefer an existing or traditional situation to change. What follow is, I hope, a discussion showing how 2 diamtrically opposed points of view are not really so far apart when viewed in the context of Jesus.


In Book of Matthew chapter 25 Jesus ascends to the throne and, after separating the flock, looks to those on his right and says "take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."
And to those on his left he said, "Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me."

Some would segregate these differently. The first group, those that found favor with the King, would be labeled liberals. And those that did not find favor, conservative. Others still would say that the conservatives had found favor for understanding the difference between true need and those who were willfully dependant on kindness and generosity while Liberals were sent away for not understanding the difference between need and desire, misfortune and slovenly habit. The truth lies squarely in the middle. That's where you'll find Jesus.
Again in Matthew chapter 7 Jesus says, "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."

And in Matthew chapter 10, "Whatever town or village you enter, search for some worthy person there and stay at his house until you leave. As you enter the home, give it your greeting. If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you. If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town. I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves."

Clearly Jesus is telling them look, there are all kinds of people out there. Some will need what you can provide and know it. They will seize upon the gift and come to a greater understanding of me. But just because you see a temporal need doesn't mean it is in you to fulfill it. Share me. Let me provide. There will be some with temporal needs who would take what you offer, reject me, then take from you what they don't need simply to say they have it. Simply because they want it. Your job is to provide for the need. Talk to me. I'll tell you when it's time to dig in and when it's time to walk away.

Both sides of the aisle have their eye on serving God and fulfilling the mission. One views suffering and injustice and wants to quiet and fix it without regard to circumstances. Without regard for the choices each has made in how they live their lives and how those choices honor the God who created them. The other wants to be sure that the suffering and injustice is not a circumstance of the victims own choosing thereby condemning them, without redemption, by the choices they have made in their past.

In the middle is what Jesus intended in his teaching. While we want to reduce human tragedy and suffering, often times they are brought on by the choices individuals make in their lives and while it may make us feel better, it is often the adversity that draws them to God. Don't rush in and fix it, he says. Don't tell them their bad decisions were good ones. . If they make bad choices, I wont adjust my expectations. But walk with them and be there for them. Show them I love them and let me fix what needs to be fixed. Don't stand on the sidelines exhorting them to change their behavior so I can demonstrate my love, he says. But walk out onto the battlefield with them and bring them the healing and confirmation of my love that they so desperately need. It is possible to acknowledge the sin as sin and still care for the sinner. After all....I've done so for you.

These are, after all, the musings of a mind that wanders